1. A slam poetry reading. There is a time and a place for slam poetry (in theory; in practice it is my personal idea of hell), and that is NOT when two people are just beginning to get to know each other. You’ll get to know a hell of a lot about the poets, since it’s a share-fest up in there.
2. Your amateur comedy show/rock concert/whatever. Baby Jesus, sweet baby Jesus in his swaddling cloth, please do not. Because, well, see #1, plus the added discomfort of you potentially sucking. Such a bad vibe for a date.
3. One of your friends’ birthday parties. I don’t know why anyone thinks taking someone to a birthday party on an early date is a good idea. Standing around making forced small talk with strangers while you’re semi-aware that everybody’s judging you is not a good time. ALSO, there is rarely cake at twentysomething bar birthday parties, so there’s not even that perk.
4. Da Club of any variety. This is where you meet dates, not where you bring them. You may as well sit down 2 feet from a construction site and try to have a yell-conversation there.
5. A fast food place. For a fourthmeal? Totally. For the main dinner? Not so much. Fluorescents flatter no one.
6. Your parents’ house. SLOW YOUR ROLL. This makes me think you are already auditioning wedding bands.
7. An exercise class. Not only do I kiiiind of feel like you’re going to judge me for being out of breath at times, but the gym is where I go to escape the obligation I feel to be cute all the time. Don’t ruin this for me.