For a lot of us geeks and nerds it can be nerve raking talking to girls. Asking a girl out on a date even worse. However, if we are able to muster the courage to actually ask somebody out we have to stay out of our own way just so we don’t screw it up. Here are 5 tips to help you in your journey and challenge of that first date.
- Ask questions: If you aren’t 100% familiar with your date and are nervous. Ask questions. This solves two issues. You will find out more and more about your date and can lead to even more topics and you avoid that dreaded awkward silence. Now you don’t want to fire one question after another. Truly listen and be interested in learning about them. Oh, don’t mess with political or religious questions because things could get ugly.
- Don’t try so hard: So many times we make the mistake of trying to make everything perfect. Trying to be charming and funny and deep. Don’t! Be the best version of you that you can be but at the end of the day you still need to be you. After all if it does work out they’ll find out eventually.
- Have Fun: Enjoy yourself and relax. If you think of worst case scenario the date goes bad and you don’t go out again. Who cares. The point of those first dates is trying to find that person you fit with. I know we can get down when it doesn’t go well but at the end of the day you have to keep meeting girls and keep asking them out to find that good match that you’d like to continue to see. So while on these dates enjoy yourself. Go to places that you enjoy going to. Doesn’t have to be dinner. Sport events like baseball are great because you can hang out. However if the game is long and date is bad you may need to click the eject button before the 7th inning stretch.
- Know when to leave: This goes for good and bad dates. If you are on a bad one that’s easy. You pretty much start waiving down your waiter mid meal and hit the eject button. I know a lot of us though can stick around too long when things are going good. We can look like a very promising future 2nd date one moment but then linger around and try to keep this perfect going. Now we are annoying and that second date is now pretty much gone. Know when to leave. If you went out for dinner finish it off at dinner with an exchange of number so another date can be set. As the great Dale Carnegie wrote, leave before they want you to leave.
- Respect their space: Don’t be clingy and touchy feely. Unless they initiate it be respectful of their space or you’ll turn into creep touchy feely guy. If fined to offer your hand when she’s getting out of your car or going into a restaurant but don’t smother her.
First date is always important because it’s where you drop your first impression and most importantly, it plays a big role to determine whether or not this relationship will work out.
It’s just like choosing what to read. Let’s not talk about the book cover (I know, I know, Don’t just a book by its cover!) so now we all judge by how the story begins. No matter how amazing the storyline is, if the introduction failed to grab readers’ attention, no one is going to read it because no one likes to get their time wasted. Relationship works this way too.
If you need ideas to secure your first date and your own impression, You’ve come to the right place! When I first started dating, my idea of a date was the stereotypical cheap-dinner-and-a-movie. Don’t hate on me, I didn’t know any better! By the time I finished high school I was pretty comfortable in my own skin and got pretty good at coming up with ideas for dates. I’ve put together a list of some of my favorites as well as some suggested by friends. Enjoy!
- Go for a walk – This is such a simple first date idea but most shy away from it because they feel like they must do something complex in order for their date to be impressed. Wrong! The only ideas you need to impress your date with are the ones that you articulate as your conversation progresses. If you are an interesting person and have found a fun person to spend time with, rest assured that a walk about town will be just fine. Remember, the idea is to leave your date wanting more. As a warning, you may be tempted to start talking about previous relationships. Don’t. That’s not how to get over an ex. Rather, enjoying the company of a fun new person without dwelling on the past will serve you best!
As a dude who has been on over 200 double dates, I’d like to think I know a thing or two about the art of the first encounter. A first date should be casual, but not so spontaneous that it seems carelessly unplanned. And a first date should allow partners to chat and get to know one another (so unless you’re a mind reader, save movies and live performances for date number three or four).
Most importantly, with greater risk comes greater reward: the more you’re able to wow a woman on a first date, the stronger your bond with her will be. Of course, work too far outside of your comfort zone, or overshoot your own abilities with a date too complex for you to handle, and you’ll be spending all subsequent evenings with your forearm of preference.
Behold, the best first date ideas from easiest to most difficult.
If you’re single and dating, you may be surprised to learn that the dating pool is actually quite deep, even if it doesn’t always feel that way. There are more than 100 million unmarried American adults — which is more than 45 percent of all adults in the U.S. — but not all of them are unattached [source: U.S. Census Bureau]. Roughly 5 percent cohabitate with a partner, effectively kicking them out of the pool. But what we can take away from this is that there are many single Americans, and a good percentage of them are swimming around looking for a date.
While the dating scene may seem like a lot of work to one person, to another, it’s a fun way to meet other people. But all things being equal, first dates can make most of us anxious. It’s Just Lunch, a dating service for single professionals, surveyed single American adults and found that nearly 70 percent of men and about 50 percent of women won’t bother with a second date if the chemistry isn’t there. When there is chemistry, though, 97 percent of men will call to ask out their love interest again — in 72 hours or less [source: Search Your Love].
Trying to ensure a second date? Or develop a long-term relationship? First, let’s get you through the nerve-wracking first date. We’ve compiled 10 first date tips for both men and women, so let’s get started with choosing a first date activity.